In one of my previous entries, I did promise to share my home made pasta sauce.
Home made pasta sauce
1 kg ripe tomatoes
3Tbsp brown sugar
150 gm sun dried tomatoes-chopped (i used bottled one in sunflower oil as in pic below)
200 gm tomato puree (i used tesco's in the tube)
4 onions - diced
1 can button mushroom - sliced (optional)
150 gm mince chicken (optional)
5 pulp garlic - chopped
mixed herbs or chopped fresh basil.
- Halve tomatoes and place in suitable baking dish.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt and a dash of olive oil.
- Bake in oven for about 30 mins (160 deg C). Another way is to blanch
- Cooled, remove skin & mash lightly
- Saute garlic in olive oil, add in mince chicken and fry till meat is cooked.
- Add in onions followed by mushroom and keep stirring until soft.
- Pour mashed tomatoes into pan, stir.
- Add sun dried tomatoes & tomato puree.
- Add mixed herbs & bay leaf
- Stir and let it boil for about 10 minutes.
- Put to small fire and let it simmer for one hour ( i transferred to rice cooker/slow cooker after this and cook it further for few hours)
- Done. Let it cool, keep in air tight container and refrigerate.
Note: As always, different people have different style of preparing, this is just one of it.
# I keep my extras in the freezer as this one has no preservatives.
# Use this basic sauce on spaghetti, pizzas, lasagna, stews or even coney dogs etc as you like it!
# Add cili paste if you prefer hot.
# Sometimes sauce colour is slightly 'orange(not dark)'-depending on the tomatoes,unlike those bottled sauces, what i do is to add one bottle of the pasta sauce (my fav is prego or heinz) to my mix (pst pst, my grown up children is very fussy as they don't really like their sauce to be different from that in the bottle)
Whatever it is, if you want to try this recipe 'just as it is' please do so as i can assure YOU WON'T FAIL. Happy trying, have a good day and be happy with what you do.