Onion and spinach Quiche.
Plain Shortcrust Pastry: (source: Perfect Pastries, Periplus cookook)
2 cups (250g) plain flour
125 g cold butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
3-4 tablespoons cold water
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl and add butter. Rub butter into the flour with fingertips until fine & crumbly.
- Add the combined egg yolk and 3 Tbsp of water. Cut with a knife to form a dough, adding the remaining water if necessary.
-Turn onto floured surface and gather together to form smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for ~30 mins.
- Roll pastry and lay neatly to fit in the pastry dish. Blind bake for ~15-20 mins.
3 yellow onions, chopped finely
200 gm spinach, finely chopped.
2 Tbsp butter
Milk mixture (mix well)
250ml cream ( i use lowfat milk)
salt & pepper to taste
mozzarella/cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Heat butter in a pan over medium heat.
2. Saute onions till soft & fragrant(not brown), stir in spinach.
3. Fill baked pastry with filling.
4. Pour milk mixture & spread cheese.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly brown