Today let's do something more local.....
Lepat labu (steamed pumpkin in banana leaves)
What you need:
550 gm pumpkin (remove skin, cut and boil till tender)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/4 cup flour
Coconut flakes mixed with little salt.
Enough banana leaves (put over fire to just soften leaves)
How to go about doing it:
- Mix 1/4 cup of the coconut milk with sugar and stir over slow fire until sugar just melt
- Mash the pumpkin until smooth (while still hot)
- Add sugar syrup and the rest of coconut milk, stir.
- Fold in flour and mix well.
- Take a tablespoonful of the mixture, spread on the banana leaves.
- Put coconut flakes along the center.
- Fold nicely and steam for 20 minutes.
Note: This recipe may not be sweet to some people. You can adjust sweetness accordingly but to me this is just nice