This is one of the few varieties of Ayam Masak Merah.
1 pc chicken, cut to desired size (mine was 12 pcs)
3 big onion, peeled & cut
2 lemongrass, cut to small pieces
2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut to smaller pieces
1 1/2 cup cili paste
1 cup coconut milk
1 cinnamon bark
3 star anise
sugar & salt to taste.
- Marinate chicken with turmeric & salt.
- Blend onion, lemon grass, ginger & tomatoes.
- Fry chicken in enough oil. Put aside
- Using the same oil, throw in cinnamon bark, star anise & cardamom.
- Add in blended onion, and stir till fragrant.
- Pour cili paste and let it cook, stirring now and then. You can tell the cili is cooked when the cili paste & oil separates.
- Pour in coconut milk and let it boil.
- Put the chicken and let it cook further or until gravy thickens slightly
- Add salt & sugar to taste.
- Done. garnish with chinese celery